Established in August 1981, ICRIER is an autonomous, policy-oriented, not-for-profit, economic policy think tank. ICRIER’s main focus is to enhance the knowledge content of policy making by undertaking analytical research that is targeted at informing India’s policy makers and also at improving the interface with the global economy.
ICRIER’s office is located in the institutional complex of India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
ICRIER’s Board of Governors include leading academicians, policymakers, and representatives from the private sector. Dr. Isher Ahluwalia is ICRIER’s chairperson. Dr. Rajat Kathuria is Director and Chief Executive.
ICRIER conducts thematic research in the following eight thrust areas:
- Macroeconomic Management Financial Liberalisation and Regulation
- Global Competitiveness of the Indian Economy – Agriculture, Manufacturing and Services
- Multilateral Trade Negotiations and FTAs
- Challenges and Opportunities of Urbanization
- Climate Change and Sustainable Development
- Physical and Social Infrastructure including Telecom, Transport, Energy and Health
- Asian Economic Integration with Focus on South Asia
- Skill Development, Entrepreneurship and Jobs
To effectively disseminate research findings, ICRIER organises workshops, seminars and conferences to bring together academicians, policymakers, representatives from industry and media to create a more informed understanding on issues of major policy interest. ICRIER routinely invites distinguished scholars and policymakers from around the world to deliver public lectures and give seminars on economic themes of interest to contemporary India.